There are myths in every aspect of sociology, but relationship myths take the cake with how many there are, and how wrong they can be. Here are five of the most common:
- Half of all marriages end in divorce. Not true. Yes, there may be half the number of divorces as there are marriages in a year, but the people getting married aren’t the ones getting divorced.
- Kids ruin the marriage. This was based on a study that didn’t follow the couples through the transition period. They just asked about their happiness in different times in their lives. A more accurate study that followed the couples through the transition period, found that women are happier after their children are born. One indicator of women’s happiness was if they felt that the household chores were being shared.
- Counseling for couples doesn’t work. We’ve all seen the exaggerated portrayal of couples in the counselor’s office yelling at each other while the counselor looks on helplessly. This is not the case at all. Counselors are trained to handle those problems. Plus, if it’s done right and taken seriously, counseling can save the marriage.
- It’s better to live together before you get married. This myth is really counterproductive. It turns out that those who live together before getting engaged are more likely to get divorced. It’s just a convenient step they slip into and slip out of. However, living together after getting engaged is less likely to affect the marriage because an engagement is a thought-out plan, not just an automatic step or a whim.
- The old myth that “opposites attract” can be true in the beginning, when you meet the one who is the yin to your yang. But when the infatuation wears off, you end up with two radically different people trying to coexist. Marrying someone who has some differences, as well as similarities, to you is a better combination for happiness.
In the end, don’t let myths dictate your relationship. If you need advice, ask someone you trust, and who knows what they’re talking about.
Read the full article here: The Top 10 Myths About Relationships
Free Ebook: “How To Go From Soulmates to Roommates in 10 Easy Steps”
- Written by Caroline Madden
- Learn how to affair-proof your marriage
- Develop a soul mate connection with your spouse